Thursday, December 23, 2010

Off Season Project

My "off season project" is near complete. I have essentially burned my physical video library of DVDs to a 1.5 Terabyte external hard drive as a backup against scratches or loss.

It may seem like a lot of unnecessary work, but searching, organizing, and keeping up with over 453 NCAA/NFL game film DVDs (plus a few hundred clinic discs) can be tedious and subject to error. I had no real feasible method other than to store the discs on large disc spindles, which began taking up more and more physical space. It was herding cats to find a disc (even after having grouped spindles by categories), then to go through the process of creating a copy was worse.


Now, once I receive a disc, I just pop it in the drive, rip the ISO image to my portable hard drive and store it away as a master disc.

It also makes providing copies for other coaches that much easier, too. I just pull from the ISO image catalog, pop in a blank disc, and burn....done. This way, the bookshelf full of DVDs, the entire collection is available on a paperback-sized drive, available to take with me anywhere and burn (dvd-ready discs) anywhere with a DVD-RW drive.

I have toyed with the notion of ripping the complete video files entirely as .avi / mpegs and store on a HD to viewed via a media sharing network, but it is completely limited to the DLNA/LAN where it is set up and not as practical as just throwing in the original DVD.
1. Open DVD Decrypter
2. Select MODE (ISO) > Read (the DVD you have in the drive)
3. Choose where you what the disc image written to ......
4. Hit the Graphic at the bottom.................done

To burn, just do the opposite (Write > source [local storage] to destination [DVD] ).

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coach, for us aspiring techies can you post the step by step directions on how to rip a dvd and save it. The only thing I have to rip a dvd is my hudl editor but I believe you lose sound.

BuddyB said...

would you be willing to do a video directory and trade with a fellow coach/football addict? I am always wanting to get my hands on more clinic/cutup/instructional information.

donkeypunch22 said...

I would also be willing to work trades! If it's possible and you are interested, leave me a way to get in contact. Thanks!

Kevin said...

I know there are no stupid questions, only stupid people but:

1. Is this DVD encrypter free?

2. After I rip a DVD and then decide to burn another...it will play in a regular DVD player?

brophy said...

1. Yes, hence the name of the program
2. It simply makes a mirror image of what the disc is....if the original DVD plays in a DVD player, the copy will play in a DVD player

Coach Hoover said...

You can downloads the program here if you don't have it already: http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

Anonymous said...

Where do you get all that film?!?

Coach Bindel said...

Coach, I have done the same thing as well. (I used the program Handbrake).
If you want to take a look at some of my files, let me know.

We could exchange via internet using yousendit.com (you can send big avi files for free). I am looking for some cutups of Tulsa (Herb Hand's) Cross or NCAA routes. Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular.

coachbindel@gmail.com

Joe said...

Wow, here I am staring at a stack of VHS that I have no way to play. Maybe your project will provide inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Brophy what type and model of external hard drive are you using I have had mine crash twice and am in the market for a new one

Zach said...

I've been meaning to do this since reading your post about this earlier this year, I just got started yesterday. Bought a cheap 2Tb drive at Best Buy for $99, I've gotten around 20 done while watching reruns.

Thanks again for showing the way.

Jason Meade said...

Coach, what's the benefit of creating the ISO image instead of a folder that contains the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders?

Unknown said...

for anyone able to invest a bit more scatch into this kind of project i'd also suggest looking into a network attached server (nas). i found external hd's to be unreliable in their durability as i worked between home and school/mac vs pc. i set up a synology nas with 2x 2 Tb harddrives. Ive uploaded 100+ games/cutups and it networks with the mac and pc and has ftp options - but i havent gotten that far yet.

maybe something to look into for the tech inclined.

Anonymous said...

do you have any arizona state stuff with Noel Mazzone. Big fan of him. Email - grad2q@yahoo.com

SIDEBAR