Saturday, July 21, 2007

Are You Ready For Some Football??!

Feeding my addiction (read compulsion) this year will be TWO teams at once....as a 4A Defensive Coordinator and a Head Coach of a 10 Year Old team.


Time is fast approaching.....I will be enduring "hell week" sort to speak

The week day will look something like this....

4:15 - 5:00 AM workout
6:00 - 3:00 "work"
3:00 - 6:00 HS practices
6:00 - 8:00 10 Year old practices
8:00 - 10:00 prepare for next day's practices / week game plan

Yeah, well, I never thought it would be easy, but I will enjoy the challenge. I mean, its not like I have any other hobbies to keep me busy.

Last year, I moved to the Texarkana area after being in Iowa most of my life. Since college, football has always been a big part of my life and has defined who I am as a person. Looking to get tapped into the hot-bed of "Southern Football" once I arrived, I stalked all the area high school ADs looking to help out in any capacity. No Dice.....I ended up helping coach and organize the local adult women's football team.

It was a frustrating ordeal for me, and although there are some really good people involved with that team, I had to step away in February as I had my son full-time.

I committed to coach a youth team for a program I have the utmost respect for in December, and thankfully, I will also be able to coach my son in his first year of organized football. The only sour note is that they run the double-wing offense at the youth level, which has left me nauseous on more than a few occasions. Of course, the most important thing at that age level is coaching the fundamentals correctly, anyway. I just hope I can stay awake while calling plays......

I then was able to get in contact with a coach I'd been in contact with since 2005, since I knew I would be moving to Louisiana in 2006. One thing led to another, and I'm on board helping to turn the program around from a 0-10 record from the previous season.

I honestly feel good about both teams am confident both teams will be advancing through the post-season (prolonging my personal extended daily schedule).

Another week or so, and the NFL preseason kicks off...not long after that starts the college season....then, a never-ending emotional seige that will last until February.

No comments:

SIDEBAR